*WE SUGGEST HIRING A GUIDE FOR AN EXTRA $200/ DAY IF YOU HAVE NO SEA KAYAK EXPERIENCE.*
About this rental package:
Your reservation starts with a FREE training course. We are the only outfitter to offer the safety course for free and it is because we want everybody to have an opportunity to take the safety course. If you are unable to demonstrate a solid T rescue at the end of the course we can not rent to you but you aren’t out any money because the safety course is free and we will refund the cost of your rental. We are not interested in adding hidden fees in to your rental package, we are only concerned with making sure that you have plenty of time with an instructor that you are able to demonstrate the necessary sea kayak skills before we send you on to Lake Superior in a sea kayak.
Price includes a tandem kayak rental for 2 people (1-boat) + paddle, life jacket, spray skirt, paddle float, pump. The price does not include a wet suit, vhf radio, dry bags or extra paddle. Wetsuits and VHF radios are needed to rent kayaks from us and if you don’t have your own you can add wetsuit ($10/ day) and VHF radio ($15/ day). Each person will need a wetsuit only 1 vhf radio per group is required. If you have your own VHF radio, satellite phone or satellite messenger you do not have to rent a VHF radio from us.
delivery to your equipment pickup location is an extra charge.
How to book – please follow these steps for an accurate booking:
1. Select your start date
2. Select your equipment pickup location. We
request that you arrive 30 minutes early for your course and test.
After you complete your course and pass your test we will meet you at
the delivery location you select here.
3. Click Book Now and then select your date range by clicking on the calendar days
4. Add the delivery charge that corresponds to your selected equipment pickup location and any extras that you’ll need for your trip.
5. Click Confirm
6. Fill out all information on the form (including your predicted itinerary) and click book now to finish your payment. Payment in full confirms your reservation.
You will receive a confirmation email and 2 reminder emails with
important information. Please save the confirmation email for future
- All rental riders must take our FREE Sea Kayak Safety Training Course AND pass the Sea Kayak Rental Safety Test.
- You must bring your own fully charged cell phone. However, reception is bad up here.
- We suggest a maximum of 10 miles of paddling per day for these sea kayaks
- You will need to submit your itinerary to us and record your plans for reference and safety suggestions
- If your day rental itinerary includes traveling to the exterior Islands, a VHF radio is required. Multi-day rentals must rent from us (or bring their own ) handheld waterproof VHF radio (1 per group).
Sea Kayak Rental Safety Test & Training Course
Everyone in the group must be able to pass our Sea Kayak Safety Test. To
pass, you must demonstrate a T-rescue.
The duration of the course is 1 to 2 hours depending on group size.
Please take this time into consideration when planning your rental
itinerary. If you think you can pass without the taking the course,
please request to demonstrate to us the skills above when you arrive,
and before taking the course.
We are quite strict about our guidelines for
renting sea kayaks for island crossings and we reserve the right to
deny/cancel your rental if you are unable to pass the Sea Kayak Rental
Safety Test – even if you’ve taken the Sea Kayak Rental Safety Training Course.’
Planning your itinerary
Sea Caves can be found at the following locations
and are listed from most impressive to least; Devil’s Island, Sand
Island, Meyers Beach, Romans Point, Stockton Island, Outer Island,
Ironwood Island, Cat Island, Bear Island, Madeline Island, Houghton
Point and Red Cliff (1 cave at Red Cliff). You can expect crowds at
Meyers Beach. The other sea cave locations you will have mostly to
yourself. You will need waves of 1.5 foot or less to enter the sea
Beginner paddlers are encouraged to use Basswood,
Oak, Stockton, Madeline, Long and Hermit Island. These islands are
protected and offer a safer paddling experience. Paddlers with experience
can utilize Sand, York, Raspberry, Bear, Otter, Rocky, Ironwood and
Manitou Island (these islands are more exposed and require that you can
paddle in 3 foot waves).
- We only allow expert paddlers to plan rental itineraries that travel to Devil’s, South Twin, Cat, Outer and Michigan Island.
- North Twin and Eagle Island are off limits due to NPS restrictions.
- We reserve the right to accommodate each rental as we see fit
Additional Items for Rent
(you will have the option to add these to your cart at checkout, for rentals longer than 1 week, you may be eligible for a discount (excluding the safety course & guide, please let us know and prices can be adjusted)
- Wet Suit — $5/day
- Roof Racks & Straps — $5/day
- Dry Bag — $3/day
- VHF Radio+GPS+EPRB — $15 / day
- Extra Paddle — $5/day
- Guide — $200/ day