apostle islands kayaking
Apostle Islands Kayaking can be dangerous and our primary goal is safety. We have the best safety record in the Apostle Islands because we are the most cautious outfitter. We offer a sea cave tour on the West side of the Bayfield Peninsula and the East side of the Bayfield Peninsula. We only launch in calm (less than 1 ft wave) conditions, so if it’s wavy on the East side we go to the West side and vice versa. [Other outftters focus on the very crowded sea caves at Meyers Beach and will launch in waves of 2 to 3 feet.] Meyers Beach has also been burdened with [algae blooms] due in part to the overcrowding at the beach. We tell you this not to be bragadocious but to help you make your outfitter decision. We don’t do guided tours at Meyers Beach due to the overcrowding. We cater to families with kids and people who are looking for a relaxing paddle without crowds. Our guided tours take place at sea cave destinations where were are likely to be the only group there. If you are an experienced paddler with a steadfast desire to go to a particular location and are willing to paddle in waves then you may want to choose a different outfitter. Being a cautious outfitter means we do have to cancel sometimes, but if we ever cancel your tour or if the CDC restrictions make it impossible to travel, you receive 100% of your money back. In the event of a weather cancellation we also give your group priority rebooking, meaning we will open up spots on whatever tour you want and for whatever date you choose.
BEST SELLING PRODUCTS
Sale Ends March 31st
Apostle Islands Sea Caves Map
Sea Caves can be found at the following locations and are listed in descending order by size and quantity of sea caves. Click on the red bullseye on the map below for more information about each set of sea caves. Devil’s Island, Meyers Beach, Sand Island, Romans Point, Madeline Island, Red Cliff, Stockton Island, Chequamegon Bay and Cat Island. You can expect large crowds at Meyers Beach. The other sea cave locations you will have mostly to yourself. You will need waves of 1.5 foot or less to enter the sea caves.
Browse our categories
Any Reservation that is cancelled more than 98 hours in advance receives a full refund. Less than 98 is 50% refund.No show, no refund.If weather cancels your tour you receive a full refund. We try to give you at least 24 hours notice by text or email if weather is a concern. If we cancel the tour you receive a 100% refund.
We do our best to get you out to your desired location. If weather does not permit we do not force you to go on a different tour. We will offer an alternative tour, a chance to reschedule or a 100% refund.
You must have previous kayak experience and know how to swim to rent a sea kayak. A 1 to 2 hour safety course is mandatory for all rentals and we reserve the right to require a guide for your rental.
Our goal is to facilitate your adventure into one of the most unique and biodiverse destinations in North America. The Apostle Islands are a sandstone island achipelago that feature long stretches of towering sandstone cliffs nestled amonst pristine beaches. These islands are some of the last places to find old growth boreal forest and home to the famous sea caves.
The expanse of Lake Superior surrounding Apostle Islands National Lakeshore has endless pockets of natural splendor. The guides at Apostle Islands Adventures have spent years exploring the area, only to find untapped locales of awe-inspiring landscapes. The team dedicates their time helping others seek out places of serenity by traveling by boat or kayak. Whether crossing to an island or exploring a sea cave, the team specializes in private or small group tours. Tour-goers are also free to explore on their own by renting a kayak complete with instruction.
Something for everyone
• Tours are appropriate for beginners and inexperienced paddlers.
• If you do not have kayak experience we highly suggest that you go on a tour with a guide.
• It takes kayaking skills, you must be in good shape and you must be able to swim to kayak without a guide in the Apostle Islands.
• Tours are appropriate for beginners and inexperienced paddlers as we only launch in safe paddling conditions and guides are equipped to tow if necessary.
We are pet friendly
• We are the only outfitter in the Apostle Islands that shadows our Meyers Beach tours with a support vessel.
• If any member of your group does not want to kayak or is too young, they can follow the group in our Support Vessel and Coast Guard certified boat captain.
• We even allow well-trained dogs to ride in the boat. The AINL rules for outfitters do not allow pets on tours in the AINL boundary. However, we can take dogs on several options for kayak tours that are outside the AINL boundary where we do allow well trained and friendly dogs in kayaks on the kayak tour.
• If you are thinking of bringing your dog on a tour we ask that it not be the first time they have been on the water.
• If you are bringing a dog in a kayak on a tour we ask that they have previous experience in a canoe or kayak.
Lake Superior is the most dangerous lake
• Lake Superior is a sleeping dragon. You hear lake and think to yourself “I’ve kayaked on lakes before”. It is far more dangerous to kayak on Lake Superior than most oceanic shorelines in the United States.
• The real danger is the water temperatures but the location of the lake lies right in the jet stream, so winds can be brutal as well.
• If you are thinking of renting a kayak we highly encourage you to call us and we will spend as much time as you want answering whatever questions you have.
• If you haven’t kayaked on Lake Superior and you don’t have any questions, you should probably reconsider renting a kayak in the Apostle Islands.
Military and Group Discounts
• We offer group discounts starting at 6 people 10% off, and the discounts increase as the group size grows.
• We also offer group discounts to active and retired military and their immediate family members.
• Give us a call and we will discuss what type of discount we can offer and we’ll also tell you where to find places off the beaten path that you can be one of the highlights of your visit to the Apostle Islands.
Sale Ends March 31st