Apostle Islands Sea Caves Map
APOSTLE ISLANDS KAYAKING
Apostle Islands Kayaking can be unpredictable; our primary goal is safety. We have the best safety record in the Apostle Islands because we are the most cautious outfitter.
We offer a sea cave tour on the West side of the Bayfield Peninsula and the East side of the Bayfield Peninsula. We only launch in calm (less than 1 ft wave) conditions, so if it’s wavy on the East side, we go to the West side and vice versa.
Other outfitters focus on the crowded sea caves at Meyers Beach and will launch in waves of 2 to 3 feet.
We paddle the sea caves at Roman’s Point, Red Cliff, and Houghton Point that are lesser-known, and we only launch when the waves are 1 foot or less. Our goal is to get you to the sea caves but away from the crowds.
In our current reality, it is essential to avoid crowds. At crowded sea cave locations, you may have to sit in line for the caves, waiting for other outfitters to go through. When you are finally in the caves, you are rushed through, as another outfitter is right behind you, waiting to get in. There are even instances of algae blooms that can be harmful to humans and wildlife that have been recorded at Meyers Beach due in part to the overcrowding at the Meyers Beach sea caves.
ABOUT OUR TOURS
We cater to families with kids and people who are looking for a relaxing paddle without crowds. Apostle Islands kayak tours can be dangerous but we choose to paddle in conditions that are not challenging. Other outfits may launch in conditions or locations that we will not and this is because we cater to families with kids and people who are looking for a relaxing paddle without crowds
We tell you this to help you make your outfitter decision.
Our guided tours take place at secluded sea cave destinations, where we are likely to be the only group there. We allow you plenty of time inside each cave to sit and enjoy the ambiance and take as many photos as you like.
Roman’s Point has the best caves but is a challenging paddle. Houghton Point and Red Cliff are easy paddles and great for kids or anyone looking to take it easy. Houghton Point has a few more and slightly better caves than Red Cliff, but Red Cliff has a beautiful sea arch and the famous Fedora shipwreck in shallow water.
WHAT IF WE CANCEL?
Being a cautious outfitter means we do have to cancel sometimes, but if we ever cancel your Apostle Islands kayak tour or if the CDC restrictions make it impossible to travel, you receive 100% of your money back.
In the event of a weather cancellation we also give your group priority re-booking, meaning we will open up spots on whatever tour you want and for whatever date you choose.
BEST SELLING PRODUCTS
Browse our categories
Any Reservation that is cancelled more than 98 hours in advance receives a full refund. Less than 98 is 50% refund.No show, no refund.If weather cancels your tour you receive a full refund. We try to give you at least 24 hours notice by text or email if weather is a concern. If we cancel the tour you receive a 100% refund.
We do our best to get you out to your desired location. If weather does not permit we do not force you to go on a different tour. We will offer an alternative tour, a chance to reschedule or a 100% refund.
You must have previous kayak experience and know how to swim to rent a sea kayak. A 1 to 2 hour safety course is mandatory for all rentals and we reserve the right to require a guide for your rental.
Our goal is to facilitate your Apostle Islands kayak adventure into one of the most unique and biodiverse destinations in North America. The Apostle Islands are a sandstone island achipelago that feature long stretches of towering sandstone cliffs nestled amonst pristine beaches. These islands are some of the last places to find old growth boreal forest and home to the famous sea caves.
The expanse of Lake Superior surrounding Apostle Islands National Lakeshore has endless pockets of natural splendor. The guides at Apostle Islands Adventures have spent years exploring the area, only to find untapped locales of awe-inspiring landscapes. The team dedicates their time helping others seek out places of serenity by traveling by boat or kayak. Whether crossing to an island or exploring a sea cave, the team specializes in private or small group tours. Tour-goers are also free to explore on their own by renting a kayak complete with instruction.
Something for everyone
• Tours are appropriate for beginners and inexperienced paddlers.
• If you do not have kayak experience we highly suggest that you go on a tour with a guide.
• It takes kayaking skills, you must be in good shape and you must be able to swim to kayak without a guide in the Apostle Islands.
• Tours are appropriate for beginners and inexperienced paddlers as we only launch in safe paddling conditions and guides are equipped to tow if necessary.
We are pet friendly
• We are the only outfitter in the Apostle Islands that shadows our Meyers Beach tours with a support vessel.
• If any member of your group does not want to kayak or is too young, they can follow the group in our Support Vessel and Coast Guard certified boat captain.
• We even allow well-trained dogs to ride in the boat. The AINL rules for outfitters do not allow pets on tours in the AINL boundary. However, we can take dogs on several options for kayak tours that are outside the AINL boundary where we do allow well trained and friendly dogs in kayaks on the kayak tour.
• If you are thinking of bringing your dog on a tour we ask that it not be the first time they have been on the water.
• If you are bringing a dog in a kayak on a tour we ask that they have previous experience in a canoe or kayak.
Lake Superior is the most dangerous lake